Sunday, August 14, 2022

SUNDAY SELFIE WITH DANI: WHY AM I SO BIG?

The larger picture below is Dani in an almost-selfie.  My friend, Susan, was visiting with me on our front walk yesterday, and snapped this with her cell phone.

Imagine 23 lbs. of pure Maine Coon cat!  There's nothing in the picture to compare her size against, but believe me, she is off the charts!   Male MCs can be this size or larger, but for a female it's very unheard of.  Dani's breeder thought it was remarkable when she hit the twenty-pound mark.

Maine Coons can continue to grow for five years.  Dani is five and a half years old and just had another growth spurt!  It's actually not what we were expecting, having had our first Maine Coon Dante, being a male, topping out at 24 lbs.  And this isn't even near the outermost weight  (or as I call it, the OUT-THERE weight) for a male MC.

Dante with Domino 

My husband and I looked for a female this time around, because we thought she would max out around 16 lbs.  We are getting older, and I'm physically disabled, so now my husband even has problems picking up this 'gentle giant'.   No way for me unless I'm seated and he hands her to me.

Anyway, no complaints.  We can get a home vet to come here when we need one.

Lacocoon Dani



Lacocoon Dani and Furry Friends



"So long!" says Dani.
"Yeah, longer than most." says I.






9 comments:

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Wow!!! 27lbs of utter gorgeousness! We max out at 10-12lb over here!!!

Purrs,
The Chans

Katie Isabella said...

OH you beautiful beautiful babies!!!

Eastside Cats said...

Perhaps you are aiming at a Guinness Book of World Records notice, eh Dani?

The J-Cats said...

Well, what WE say is - the bigger the kitty, the more there is to cuddle and snuggle (mol).

Brian's Home Blog said...

You are 23 pounds of pure pretty sweet Dani!

pilch92 said...

There is just more of you to love Dani. XO

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Dani is absolutely purrfect!

M Dawson said...

Dani is the most beautiful and amazing cat. I think she looks amazing although I can understand you all being startled that she has grown.

She is gorgeous and yes, you are lucky. Our Teddy must be about 10 pounds and he's our biggest

Pam and Teddy said...

Well I weigh between 23-24 lbs. every vet visit.....Mom says I'm her GIANT GINGER BOY. My vet says I'm very big-boned. All I know is Mom has a tough time picking me up! The bigger the better I say.

Hugs, Teddy